Saturday, May 7, 2011

Feria

Feria was so cool. It's basically just a celebration of flamenco. If you are wealthy or lucky enough you own or know someone who has a caseta, a tent, and you can buy food and drinks in there, etc. There are also some public casetas. At about 7 last night my friends, Alicia, Cate, Kyle and I walked over to Los Remedios which is a neighborhood in Sevilla where the Feria grounds are. On our walk over we saw so many pretty spanish women and children dressed in there flamenco dresses. And the men wear short jackets with these interesting hats. We first met up with our friends Jesse, Cj, and Michael at the pub Pheonix where I had dinner and a couple drinks. Then around 9 we got a bottle of wine and drank it before we entered Feria. The enterence to Feria was really cool. It had the traditional no8do. I'm not sure if I've blogged about this before but this "no8do" is EVERYWHERE in Sevilla. The 8 is to resemble a loose coil of yarn, (spanish word for yarn is madeja) and when you read aloud, "no madeja do" sounds like "no me ha dejado" which means "Sevilla has not left me" Basically it signifies the time when King Alfonso struggled to fend off an attack from his own son, Sancho. And in a battle for the thrown, Sevilla stayed loyal to King Alfonso and he rewarded Sevilla with the slogan.
 Cate and Alicia


 Paige and I
 Everyone walking to Feria in their dresses

   Kyle and Cj

Us 4 girls with our flamenco flowers

 Entrance to Feria

 Pretty flamenco dress
 Feria...
Casetas

Our friend Cj's señora told him to come by her caseta and so we hung out outside for a few minutes but once we all started chatting and everything the family was very nice and let us come hang out inside theirs! We drank this traditional drink, it sort of tasted like a white wine spritzer or something. It was so much fun, the children dressed up are so cute and everyone is just having a great time.
 Cj and his host family
 Some of the children Cj lives with.
Inside the Caseta

Alicia dancing in a different caseta we went to that was public. I got some fries there.

It was so much fun. It ends tomorrow (Sunday) so I'm sure I will go there again tonight. Although, I forgot to mention in my last blog post, I'm like deathly ill. Halfway through the Canary Islands I like woke up and couldn't breathe out of my nose, couldn't swallow because my throat hurt so bad, and my head hasn't stopped pounding for about 4 days straight now. Seriously it's like the worst cold I've ever had. I'm in a lot of pain.

I'm trying to start packing but I don't even know where to start. It's so depressing. And I really don't think everything is going to fit in my suitcase. I just got in really big trouble from my señora because I left my straightener on last night when I left for Feria...woops. But it's like the first time I've ever done that AND  they caught it like 20 minutes after I left. Christ. I mean ya that was pretty stupid of me but it's not like I've ever done it before. Anyways I have a lot to do today so I'm going to get to it. All I did yesterday was catch up on about 8 tv shows. Miss everyone lot's, and Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment