Thursday, April 28, 2011

So much school and a bullfight.

Since Sunday night I feel like I haven't stopped moving and I've gotten no sleep. Sunday evening my friends and I (about 11 of us) went out to dinner, a few boys and us girls. It was so yummy and nice to be with everyone after Semana Santa. Then a few of us got a beer afterwards at the food festival. It was the last night of it so there was this big dance thing going on, sort of fun to watch.
                                                           My friend Cate and I

Then Monday was just a full day of class, didn't do anything Monday night. Tuesday layed out at the river all day long. But I studied for a few hours because I had a final the next day and a presentation. Like literally from 11 until 4:30 until I went and bought a swimsuit for Canary Islands and bought my bull fighting ticket. Then went home, had dinner, and got read to go out for the night. Had a great night out, and didn't get home  until 3 in the morning and I had a final at 9 AM....woops. But it actually went totally fine, I mean I'm getting a C in the class, but I feel like that is acceptable while abroad...and for a history class that is completely in Spanish so I have no clue what's going on. Then had class for another 2 hours, home for lunch, and had to memorize my presentation on bull fighting for my next class. Turns out I didn't even have to memorize it though because everyone just basically read of their paper. So I ended up doing that too. Except it got a little awkward when she asked me what a "muleta" was and I didn't know because I had translated it on google and didn't really pay attention to what google had transferred from wikipedia...so instead of me explaining it to the class she had to...haha. So we'll see what I got on that presentation. Then Alicia and my plan was to go to a cafĂ© and work on our presentation that was due the next day, but instead we decided to go to this pub and watch the Real Madrid vs. Barcelona soccer game...(great game, Barcelona won by 2, Messi scoring both goals) It was totally worth it to go because our friends came and we ended up having a great time BUT the game didn't end until around 10:00 pm, so we didn't get back to her homestay until about 11:00 and started the project and I finally left her place at 3:00 in the morning. Had the class at 9:00 am. AND THEN WE DIDN'T EVEN END UP PRESENTING because the class ran out of time. So that was awesome. I literally feel like a zombie. Then came home, organized my room, ate lunch. Met my friends Jesse and Alicia for sangria before the bullfight.

The bullfight was definitely an interesting experience. The plaza is called La Maestranza and it's one of the oldest bull fighting rings in the world, the first fight there was in 1765! So at first all the participants come out and present themselves and there is really fun music and stuff. And then the first bull comes and runs around, and then the matador comes out, and these 2 men on horses come out and stab it in the back of it's neck so it weakens it. And then the bull like runs through capes and these other participants run from like the opposite side of the ring with these other 2 weapons and stab it to weaken it more. And you can sort of see  the blood gushing out. And then the matador comes out and uses a red cape (to hide the blood) and the bull runs through that a little bit more. And then the matador grabs a sword and somehow manages to stab it in the heart. And this is the worst part, when the bull is like totally fine one second, and then suddenly it's legs sort of collapse and it stumbles around for about 30 seconds and then just drops to the ground. And the matador like stands up really proud and boastful that he just slaughtered this bull. THEN these 3 horses come out with this thing attached to them and they put a chain around the bulls neck and attach it to the thing on the horses, and the horses DRAG the bull around the ring in a full circle and drag it out of the ring. I'm pretty sure they use the meat in restaurants though. During one fight the horses ran away from the people that lead them to the bull and one guy got trampled...but he seemed fine after it. And then they repeat this 5 MORE TIMES. So they kill 6 bulls every time they do this and there are like 5 bull fights a week now in Seville, and they started like last week and go through summer I'm pretty sure. I'm really glad I went but I don't really need to go back. Then me, kyle, cate, and alicia got tapas at Levies and now I'm home. I need to pack for Madrid tomorrow and Canary Islands, and we leave at 7:15 in the morning...so really I haven't caught up on sleep at all. Sucks. Here's some pics of the bull fight!


 So ya this is when the bull gets dragged around the ring....just a little cruel...
You can sort of see here the sword, and that thing hanging off the bull is stabbed into it to weaken it.

Alright well I have lot's more pictures that you guys can see later. I won't be blogging for quite some time because I won't be back until late Thursday night (one week from now). 2 weeks until I'm home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment