Sunday, January 30, 2011

Granada!









Oh my gosh I just got back from the greatest one night trip to Granada. I'm in love with Granada and can't wait to go back someday. We took a 3 hour bus ride at 8:30 in the morning to get there. Started touring the neighborhoods of Granada at 2:00 ish. The neighborhoods were so cute and all the houses had little gardens and were on top of this massive hill overlooking the city and Sierra Nevada (huge mountain range). It was SO cool. It was really cloudy the first day so the pictures don't look so great but it was amazing. Then we toured the cathedral where Ferdnand and Isabel were burried. We couldn't take pictures but oh my god it was one of the most beautiful cathedrals I had ever seen. Soo much detail put into everything. The tombstones of Ferdnand and Isabel were HUGE, but then you could walk underground for a second and see their actual coffins. It was awesome. Then the guides took us to get some tea and treats at this really cool little tea shop. I felt like I was in a whole other country. It's very moorish influenced. I've never been to Morocco but from what I know of it, and the guide said this, it's very similar to Morocco. All down these little alley ways there were little shops that sold random little trinkets. My friends here are all pretty catholic so when they saw a random church they wanted to go in, and there was like a prayer in process or something and it was all in Spanish and they were kind of singing. It was so so cool. After free time we had to head back to the hotel to get dinner, and then we were ready to experience the nightlife of Granada. Went to a few bars around the center, and then went to a discoteca until 5:30 in the morning! After that, grabbed a falafel on the way home, we had to be up by 9:30 sooo didn't get very much sleep. Then at 11 today (Sunday) we went to tour the Alhambra!! It was sunny today so it was literally the coolest and most beautiful place I had ever seen. The tour was about 3 hours long and we walked through all the gardens and buildings and saw the palacio, etc. The tour was all in Spanish so I'm still a little confused as to what La Alhambra is, but I know that it's from the Moorish/Arabic people I think.

1 comment:

  1. Granada is excellent. Def go back to it! :) I also liked Ronda down south. There is an excellent hike down into the valley under the bridge.

    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete