Monday, February 7, 2011

Wine Tasting and First Day of Classes

This is the center of Jerez
 Just a ton of wine...or sherry...
My friend Carolina and I on the train that took us around the winery.

Standing in font of their signature look of Tio Pepe sherry.

Famous people who have visited the winery

Tapas and wine tasting

Costumes for the bottles




I feel like I haven't blogged in a while so this might be a long one! Saturday was beautiful here, 65 and sunny. In the afternoon me and some of my friends met up to discuss our traveling plans. Only got one booked though....PARIS! We have a four day weekend at the end of February, Monday the 28th off. So we will be in Paris Friday through Monday. I'm so excited, went when I was 11? I think. So don't remember much. We are booking the hostel as we speak...a little nervous about that! It will be the first one I stay in. Then on Sunday, a girl in my group of friends organized a wine tour in Jerez! We took a bus at 10:30 in the morning, got to Jerez, which is basically Cádiz, at like 12, had lunch, an amazing falafel gyro, and walked to the winery. It was called Tio Pepe http://www.bodegastiopepe.com/  here is a link to the site. It's a family owned winery that is one of the most visited in the world. We saw a room where famous people had signed their names who had visited, such as Chelsea Clinton and Orson Welles! It was so interesting to see how the wine was made, they call it sherry though. We took the tour for about an hour and a half and then got to taste some with tapas. It was SO strong, and not very good in my opinion, but the tapas were amazing, I just ate cheese, but I heard the ham was good : ) We could seriously feel the wine after a glass. Then we hung out in Jerez for a while after, and took a bus home at 7:00. It was such a great day and I'm so glad I got to experience another city in Spain even just for a day, because if I hadn't done that I probably just would have been in bed all day! So hopefully I can do more trips like that.


This is a photo of the nicest and most expensive hotel in Seville, 2 weeks ago the Real Madrid soccer team was staying here...aka Cristiano Ronaldo...
 This is the Universidad de Sevilla! I'm going to buy a sweatshirt this week. I can't believe I go to school in this building. It's so pretty.
Also, had my first day of real classes today! At 8:15 had to walk a 25 minute walk to the University of Seville. Usually the class would have been about 2 hours, but we got out at 9:30...and I didn't have my next class until 11:00. So I bought a notebook for all my classes, then went to a Farmacia and got medicine because I have a HORRIBLE cold and sort of feel like I'm dying. My señora is making me wake up at 4 in the morning so I can take my next dosage. Oh well she says I'll get better faster. We just had a great convo at dinner, I was telling her how she gives to me too much bread and I don't want to get fat, and how I love her food and her coffee she makes me. And she also told me how she had breast cancer last year but she is fine now. I love the times when I'm not rushing to get anywhere and I can just relax at the table with them and practive my Spanish. All of my classes are taught in Spanish. I'm taking a history, a spanish film class, a spanish writing class, and a international relations class.

No comments:

Post a Comment